A few hours a week – day/time flexible to suit
Based with the Fundraising team at Norton Park (EH7 5QY)
The Fundraising Team are a public facing part of Cyrenians, responsible for generating income by building relationships with our individual and corporate supporters. The team delivers a growing range of engagement opportunities – including events, appeals and products – to maximise support for Cyrenians’ work tackling the causes and consequences of homelessness.
What are the aims and expectations of the role?
This role will support our fundraisers as they increase the diversity of our supporters and income. With Cyrenians’ profile and support growing, you will be an integral part of developing and maintaining supporter relationships. Every day is different and we’re looking for someone who can get stuck in and help us make the most of the opportunities on offer.
Tasks will vary based on your interests and Cyrenians’ needs but may include:
· Donation processing and data uploads to help the team provide excellent stewardship to our supporters
· Updating and categorising data on our eTapestry database
· Assisting with copy and design for supporter communications, social media and fundraising events promotion
· Assisting the team with fundraising event planning and delivery
· Design support on Canva for fundraising resources and promotional materials
· Assisting with group volunteer enquiries, booking and donation processing
· Assisting with prospecting and tracking for grant funding opportunities
What kind of volunteer are we looking for?
· Methodical and conscientious with a “can do” attitude
· Great communication skills so you can develop strong supporter relationships with all kinds of audiences
· Team player who is comfortable adapting to varied tasks to support a busy fundraising environment
· Strong IT skills, with an interest in learning new software to support your responsibilities
· Understanding of confidentiality and boundaries, with a commitment to Cyrenians’ values of: Compassion, Respect, Integrity and Innovation
· Patient and respectful of all people, whatever their background or presenting behaviour
· No fundraising experience is necessary. We'll support you to develop the skills you need – you just need to bring an enthusiasm for the role and a willingness to learn along the way!
What can you gain from this opportunity?
This role is intended to be flexible depending on your skills and interests, so there’s a whole lot you could get out of volunteering, including:
· An introduction to fundraising across a range of supporter audiences and funding types
· Ability to gain experience in particular types of fundraising, tailored to personal interest and business opportunities
· Experience of using databases and internal project tracking
· Experience providing administrative support to a busy team
· Experience of working on fundraising events
· Learn how to use a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database, and other professional software
· Be part of a friendly and innovative team, and the wider Cyrenians’ community
· Access to Cyrenians’ internal training, including trauma-informed practice
· A full induction and ongoing support will be provided
Several of our fundraisers have come into their roles from volunteer experience, so if you’re interested for whatever reason – please reach out to say hi!
We cover local travel costs at public transport rate or mileage, and £2.50 or a meal if volunteering over 4 hours at one time.
Cyrenians is over 50 years old. We began with the creation of an innovative community to meet the needs of a group of homeless people who had fallen through the cracks of whatever support was available at the time. Our roots lie in responding to the injustice of homelessness.
We have spent the last five decades journeying with people grappling with the causes and consequences of homelessness through building and nurturing of trusted relationships and engaging with social exclusion and inequality which has so often been at the root of their tough reality. We are values-led and relationship based; our core values are Compassion, Respect, Integrity and Innovation.
Cyrenians’ head office is based in Edinburgh, with smaller offices in other areas, including Falkirk and West Lothian. Cyrenians is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO), registered charity SC011052.