OPAL (Older People Active Lives) aims to maintain or increase the independence and well-being of older people across the West Lothian area. Our service is delivered by dedicated, trained volunteers who offer encouragement, companionship and support to engage in social, leisure and community activities.
We support anyone of age 60+ who is looking to re-connect socially either on a one-to-one basis or in a group setting. People can either self-refer or be referred by a health professional.
You will be carefully matched with a client, and will encourage and support the client to get out and about and identify activities which they would like to focus on. Your support and encouragement could help them to:
- Remain independent at home, socially connected and engaged
- Reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation
- Increase self-confidence
- Create links with the local community
- Develop informal local support networks
Examples of activities include:
- Taking up a new hobby or interest
- Joining a local club or group e.g. activity groups, local walking group, dementia cafe
- Visiting a library, church, local gallery or exhibition
- Attending an event e.g. gala, open day, taster session, tea dance
- Going for short walks