OPAL (Older People Active Lives) aims to maintain or increase the independence and well-being of older people across the West Lothian area. Our service is delivered by dedicated, trained volunteers who offer encouragement, companionship and support to engage in social, leisure and community activities.
We support anyone of age 60+ who is looking to re-connect socially either on a one-to-one basis or in a group setting. People can either self-refer or be referred by a health professional.
You will provide transport, using your own car to enable a client to visit groups or events, to accompany a client to go shopping. Your support and encouragement could help them to:
- Remain independent at home, socially connected and engaged
- Reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation
- Increase self-confidence
- Create links with the local community
Examples of activities include:
- Attending a local club or group e.g. activity groups, local walking group, dementia cafe
- Visiting local shops
- Attending an event e.g. gala, open day, taster session, tea dance