Social Bite Village, Granton, Edinburgh
With Support provided by Cyrenians
Cyrenians have 50 years’ experience of delivering residential community models to those affected by homelessness. Now we are journeying with Social Bite to provide housing support for up to 20 people that will occupy the purpose built village located in Granton. The village contains 10 houses, each shared by two people. There is a ‘Hub’ for our support team to work from as well as space for everyone to socialise, learn, train, eat and meet.
Aim of the Village
The aim of the village is to empower each individual with the skills required to maintain an independent and meaningful life away from homelessness and the issues which may have contributed to their homeless experience, e.g. unemployment, relationship breakdown, debt, addiction, mental health.
Community members may stay in the village for up to 2 years. They will receive one-to-one support from skilled key-workers to achieve individual goals by tailoring a personalised plan appropriate to their needs.
First community members
The village welcomed its first community members on 2nd July 2018. As in our other residential communities, members will be offered the opportunity to participate in decision making about how the village will operate.
Criteria is as follows
- Homeless and living in B&B or other temporary accommodation
- Comfortable with living in a shared house with one other person
- No current drug or alcohol issues or in stable recovery from addiction with a minimum of 6 months ‘recovery time’
- Mental health stable or actively engaged with relevant and effective therapy
- Committed to investing in a significant period of personal change
- Ready to participate in learning, training, volunteering opportunities
- Willing to engage regularly with a key-worker towards achieving personal goals
- Confident to make their voice heard in the development of village life
Residential Volunteer Opportunities:
We are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic and energetic volunteers to live at the Social Bite Village for 6-12 months to be part of our residential community. We need you to encourage and motivate community life in the village. As a Residential Community Volunteer you’ll be living alongside and supporting 20 people who have experienced homelessness, helping to create a secure and stimulating space. This position is fully residential with all accommodation and meals provided, you will have your own bedroom in a shared house along with a small weekly allowance.
Please get in touch to find out more: email@example.com
Further Information and Enquiries
Please call 0131 600 0084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For residency applications, please send us a completed Social Bite Village enquiry form.