OPAL West Lothian
Our Older People Active Lives (OPAL) service supports older people to increase their independence and well-being across the West Lothian area.
If you’re interested in becoming an OPAL Volunteer, please call Rachel on 01506 815 815 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
We support those aged 60+, connecting them to our team of dedicated volunteers who offer encouragement, companionship and assistance. We offer the following support to those looking to re-engage with social, leisure and community activities:
- One-to-one support - our one-to-one service accepts self-referrals and referrals from healthcare professionals. We match each referral to a volunteer who then supports the individual to re-connect with their community. This can include home visits, telephone conversations, outings to local cafés and walks, or supporting an individual in engaging with a local community group.
- OPAL's Community Capacity Building (CCB) initiative aims to enable and support older people in achieving the changes and improvements they want to see happen in their local community. CCB projects are already under way in Whitburn and Winchburgh, with further ones planned in Addiewell and Stoneyburn.
- OPAL Groups – We have 16 groups, both in-person and online, offering people the opportunity to meet others in their community and take part in activities such as singing, quizzes, cooking, local walks, a book club and much more! To find out what’s in your area, check out our community events calendar.
For those people who are unable to, or prefer not to, attend a group in person or have a volunteer visit, we offer remote support through regular online groups, telephone befriending and monthly activity packs sent by post.
If you think you, or someone you are working with could benefit from our support we would love to hear from you.
If you would like to find out more, or wish to make a referral, either for yourself or someone you know, please download the relevant form below, complete and return it to email@example.com
- Professional referral form (PDF) - for use if you are referring in a professional capacity, for example a medical professional referring a client.
- Self-Referral form (PDF) for use if you are referring yourself, or a friend or family member.
To find out more about volunteering with us, from telephone support to helping out at groups, please visit our volunteering page.
OPAL is funded through West Lothian Council, West Lothian Health and Social Care Partnership and NHS Lothian. We work in partnership with Carers of West Lothian, Alzheimers Scotland, Ageing Well, My Guide and Stirling University.