OPAL Polish to English Speaking Volunteer
When: Monday mornings, weekly
Time Commitment: We are looking for someone who can commit to a minimum of 6 months and up to 9 months.
Contact: 27 George St, Bathgate, EH48 1PG. 01506 815815, firstname.lastname@example.org
OPAL (Older People Active Lives) aims to maintain or increase the independence and well-being of older people across the West Lothian area. Our service is delivered by dedicated, trained volunteers who offer encouragement, companionship and support to engage in social, leisure and community activities.
We support anyone of age 60+ who is looking to re-connect socially either on a one-to-one basis or in a group setting. People can either self-refer or be referred by a health professional.
Why we need you and what activities are involved
This role is for a specific client who lives in Blackburn. You will be expected to encourage and support the client to:
help her to integrate more in the group she attends
- take a greater part in activities
- get to know people
- translate activities and conversation
Skills we’re looking for
- Polish speaking
- Good listening and communication skills
- Friendly personality / approachable
- Reliable with good time keeping
- Patience and empathy
- Respectful of confidentiality
- Able to work within set boundaries
- Keep accurate visit records and feed back to the team regularly
- An understanding of current Coronavirus regulations/recommendations
What you can gain from this opportunity
- Rewarding experience making a positive contribution to an older person’s quality of life, health, and sense of well-being.
- Develop empathy and listening skills
- Connect with new people and make new friends
- Gain work or study experience or try new things for retirement
- Personal development with training and ongoing support provided
- Polish Speaking
- PVG Scheme Membership (organised by Cyrenians, no fee)
We cover local travel costs at public transport rate or mileage (45p per mile) and out of pocket expenses.